October 16, 2012

BURNED BITS

Tuesday Evening

Gym time tonight! I did 20 minutes on the arc trainer during which I discovered my iPod had died and needed charged. It was a sad day and I decided to spend my time praying while I worked out instead and I swear it went by faster than ever! :) 281 calories burned on the arc trainer. Then I did 15 treadmill minutes at a 15 incline and burned 175 calories.

Dinner was a plan to use up more orchard apples. (Yes, I still have some.) It was inspired by a recipe that I got out of Shape magazine. Here is the way I made it:
-2 tsp. EVOO
-four 2oz. tilapia filets
-S + P
-1 tsp butter
-1/2 a white onion
-ground cinnamon
-1 apple
-white wine vinegar

1. Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan. Season filets with S + P and cook for one and a half minutes per side in pan. Remove and keep warm (they won't be cooked through yet).

2. Add butter, thinly sliced onion and a few dashes of cinnamon to the same pan and cook until onion is caramelized (around 8 minutes).

3. Add thinly sliced cored, peeled apple and cook another 7 minutes.

4. Put filets back in pan on top of apples and onions and cook, covered for a few minutes until fish is cooked through. Remove fish and deglaze pan with a splash of white wine vinegar. Serve the apple and onion mixture on top of fish.
I also sautéed zucchini in a pan with garlic and some italian herb blend.

Unfortunately I didn't like the method of cooking the fish on top of the onion and apple. They looked lovely beforehand and then seemed to burn to the pan, even though it was over medium heat. It still tasted good but I had to pick several of the burned pieces out. :/ If I made this again I would cook the fish separately.
Oh well, can't win them all I suppose!!

No comments:

Post a Comment