October 15, 2012

A BETTER BECHAMEL

Monday Evening

Guess what? I got done a little early from work and squeezed in a 1 mile run in the neighborhood :)

So. There was going to be food at my mother-in-law's party at the Delta Scoop tonight but I knew that the chances of the food being very healthy were slim. Also I knew that there would be desserts and sweets and I didn't want to show up hungry with weakened resolve! (This may sound silly to some people, but for me to resist a temptation it is important to be prepared!)

In the spirit of being prepared I fixed dinner to eat before we left! Tonight's creation?
Broccoli and Parmesan Casserole from Way to Cook Vegetarian.
Chopped a whole army of little green trees broccoli florets and cooked them until tender. On the stove-top I combined salt, ww flour and dry mustard and whisked these over a low heat with unsweetened almond milk and vegetable broth. This created a béchamel without the heaviness (and fat) of butter!

Once thickened I added sharp cheddar cheese + parmesan cheese and melted it in.
The recipe called for 1 cup of cheddar cheese (4 oz.). See here how important a food scale is.
The 4 oz. is clearly more than a cup and if I would have went by measuring cup alone I would have missed out on a good amount of cheese necessary for both flavor and thickening! Exact measurements can make all the difference when cooking!
 Lastly pimientos and the broccoli were tossed in. Poured my casserole into a sprayed 13 x 9 in. dish and topped the whole thing with crushed garlic melba toasts + a bit more parmesan.
It came out looking and smelling fantastic!

It tasted every bit as delicious as I had hoped!

A serving size for this dish is one cup and is only 154 calories! Now how's that for some healthy food that tastes good too?
We headed out to the Scoop for the party and then Bible study for a lovely night! Now we are watching the Johnny Depp version of "Alice in Wonderland" on TV. Enjoy the rest of your evening friends :)


No comments:

Post a Comment