October 15, 2012

HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING

Monday Afternoon

I have now been on my drink fast for 16 days and the no snack fast for 13 days. Friday is when it's up but there are definitely good things I am taking from this! I am pretty sure this is the longest super-clean eating stretch on my blog so far. Even before Hawaii I only did the no drinks/no snacks for two weeks. It really feels great and my clothes are fitting so much better again.

I have gotten better and better over time about making drinking an occasional thing and I am finally reaching a place where I can do that with snacks too. It's fine to have an evening treat once in a while, but I told myself pretty much every day that I could have a big snack at night. It gave me something to look forward to and I associated treats with happiness, a reward. This "fast" has been so good for habit-breaking and I am ready to make treats a sometimes thing and NOT a necessity.

Allright- lunch time.
With FAGE finding it's way back into my fridge again, a new purchase of reduced fat sharp cheddar, some tofu to use and romaine lettuce sitting patiently it was time for the taco salad to resurface! (Been bringing back old favorites today I guess.)
I crumbled up a couple of ounces of tofu and wanted to cook them with a bit of taco seasoning. I realized I didn't have any taco seasoning and thought "Why not make my own?" Much lower sodium anyway when you can control what you are putting together!
Taco Seasoning:
1 TBS chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper

I mixed all my spices in a container and sprinkled a bit on the tofu while cooking. The taco salad was a base of romaine with the seasoned tofu, sautéed peppers and onions (also seasoned), cherry tomatoes, cheddar cheese, FAGE and salsa all mixed in.

The seasoning turned out great!
We are leaving pretty much as soon as I get off work today to go to a joint birthday party for Zach's mom/reception for Zach's grandma and her new husband at the Scoop. It's Delta Greens and the Delta Scoop's last day to be open for the 2012 season! So anyway this meant I needed to get a good nap-time workout done.

Today was my first time ever to do the Shred with Jillian level 2! I have had the DVD for a couple years, but always quit after 5-7 times of level 1. This time I have now completed level one 10 times and it was time to move up a level! Omigosh. Level 2 is SO. MUCH. HARDER. than level 1. I was dying and dripping and gasping. Maybe that sounds dramatic but it is 100% true.

No comments:

Post a Comment