August 2, 2012

POTATO > VEGETABLE

Thursday Evening


This is the first normal Thursday evening I have had in quite a while! Two weeks ago Heather and John were visiting, last week I was flying out to Georgia, this week...maybe some LOTR?? Hahaha Seriously, I loved all the excitement and friends + family, but it will be so nice to relax tonight- and get to bed early!!

After work I passed out on the couch drug myself out of the house for a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood with Zach. I really need to get back on a normal sleep schedule- all these vacations/events have really messed with it!!

Tonight's vegetable: baby carrots
Main item: Potato soup
I wanted nothing more than soup for dinner and while I prefer to make my own, sometimes a can wins out for convenience' sake. I had a can of vegetable soup in one hand and potato soup in the other. I was really fine with either, but my nutritional findings surprised me! Besides having a slightly higher fat content, the potato soup won out in every category! The vegetable soup had: more calories per serving, more grams of sugar, higher sodium and a much more extensive ingredients list (and not just because of all the veggies...). The vegetable soup actually had high fructose corn syrup in it!? Seriously, why is that at all necessary?

SO potato soup it was. Which I made with my unsweetened almond milk. And it was a tasty dinner indeed :)


SIDE NOTE:
I read something interesting in SHAPE today about overeating:


"When eating is motivated by pleasure rather than hunger, it activates a chemical reaction that overrides your body's satiety signals."

This was really saying something I already knew but in a different way. I can definitely relate to this because I can tell the difference between when I am TRULY hungry or just having a specific craving. When I only want alfredo...it's a craving. When I would eat anything in front of me including raw veggies...true hunger. :) Got to pay attention to body cues!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment