August 9, 2012

STEAKS FOR SUPPER

Thursday Evening

Seems as though I was just typing up lunch and now it's already dinner time! Not going to complain though since I do love meals :)

Tonight at the gym I ran the first sub 9 minute mile since Hawaii! 'Bout time. Running really is tough for me and getting out of the groove throws me back oh, about 5 years worth of progress... So did that on the treadmill (122 calories scorched) and followed it up with 20 minutes on the elliptical (174 calories).

Tonight's dinner was inspired from my new cookbook Way to Cook Vegetarian :) I followed a recipe for tofu steaks with a little interpretation of my own. Dried out the tofu with my very fancy tofu drying equipment:

Plate+ paper towel + large pot + heavy stuff to stick in large pot.
Made a marinade out of water, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, parsley (fresh), basil (fresh), thyme (dried), salt, garlic and red pepper flakes. Threw the tofu in the bag to marinate for a while.
When I returned from the gym I took the "steaks" and dredged them through an assembly line of flour first, then egg whites, then panko.
Fried them up in a skillet in a bit of oil until browned on all sides and heated through. While that was going, some asparagus was being cooked on the back of the stove and a puree was happening in the blender! Puree = drained jar of roasted red peppers + peanuts + leftovers of marinade.
Puree was served on the side for dipping...
Or for spreading!
This tofu dish was SPI-CY! I did not expect that, but it was a welcome surprise as we looove spicy food :) Delish!

Cotton supports Daddy's soccer teams!! ;)

A bit later...

After dinner Zach and I went for a 30 minute walk on the Cardinal Greenway. The Greenway is our bike path that is paved for over a hundred miles where railroad tracks used to be. It was a gorgeous evening for a walk! Perfect temperature, beautiful sky, great conversation :)

Well friends, it's been one full week now of my "plan" (or whatever you want to call it) that I put myself on. I followed it to a T with no exceptions (except having veggies instead of a salad yesterday) and I think it was a good thing. Definitely necessary to do that for a good period of time to finally get back into a life routine after vacation...one month later!

It's been great, but now I am ready to incorporate other health foods back into my day, eat something besides salad for lunch, and have the occasional treat and glass of wine! Tonight I broke my "fast" with a treat from our ice cream shop out at the putt putt course, the Delta Scoop. I ordered a baby scoop (perfect size for a light snack) of Wild Blueberry Oatmeal Yogurt.

Baby scoop with a baby spoon!
It's hard to tell sizes in pictures, so here is a comparison of my pretty small hand next to my baby scoop :)
This was sooo tasty! Like breakfast meets dessert :D A happy first treat in a week for sure!

1 comment:

  1. haha its hard to tell the size next to your giant ring too! ;)

    ReplyDelete