June 6, 2012

CHICKEN SALAD

Wednesday Afternoon


I'm thankful I have a smaller group of kids today because they are going nutty! I can't imagine if all ten had have been here today...must be hump day. When they get too crazy I just go to my happy place and think of Hawaii of course :) My mom and dad are leaving for their Hawaiian vacation in just 2 1/2 days!!!

I have had a can of organic chicken staring at me from pantry for several weeks now and I always find reasons not to use it. Mainly because there is always SOMETHING fresh that needs eaten before it goes bad. Well today I had had it with the staring and determined to make something with it!

Enter: home-made chicken salad
The cast of characters: celery, pickles, tomato, FAGE, nayonnaise, baby carrots, lemon juice and of course the can of chicken.
This was completely a "little-of-this, little-of-that" recipe. Seasoned with coarse ground pepper, dried basil, white pepper and cayenne pepper.

Thought about serving this up on a salad but then spied one of my latest Whole Food's purchases- baked brown rice crackers! I had not bought these before but I loved the nutritional info (9 crackers for only 50 cal) and I loved the ingredients list (6 ingredients of natural things only) so I picked them up. These were onion and garlic flavored and the perfect vehicle for my chicken salad!
The pickles totally made the dish by the way. I had never used pickles before in something like this but they were just speaking to me and they were right! It was delicious!

Paired with a ripe white peach that was juicy and summery tasting. (Summer's just around the corner!) It was such a good peach- I must get more of them!

I also had 1/2 an ounce of a habanero cheese that Zach brought back with him from our local butcher. I sent him to pick up some organic chicken for tonight's dinner and he comes home with a block of cheese. Well, and the chicken too :)

I ended up having twice the amount of rice crackers pictured- they were awesome!

This is one of those days were I feel a bit run-down/stressed and would just eat, eat, eat at nap-time but instead I popped in some gum and am going to do a bit of cardio. Food does not solve problems! Well unless your problem is that you are legitimately hungry, then by all means, eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment