September 20, 2012

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH FOR BREAKFAST

Thursday Morning

I knew it was going to be a good day when it started off with such a beautiful sunrise!!
Well at least in the terms of breakfast, I was right! I made the most beautiful, delicious breakfast creation to date.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Oatmeal
It began with the usual stovetop method for cooking rolled oats. Combined 1/3 C oats, 1/4 C water,
1/2 C unsweetened almond milk, a pinch of salt and half a banana to cook over low heat until liquid was absorbed.
Side Note: *You know that I always use the "whipped banana trick" to sweeten my oatmeal naturally by slicing in half a ripe banana and vigorously stirring it into the oats so it is whipped. Well today the only banana on hand was a half of one in the freezer. I was unsure about putting the slices straight into the oatmeal while frozen, but this was perfect! Instead of whipped banana it was MELTED banana. I think it worked even better and made the oatmeal even sweeter! I must do this from now on.*
At the end of the cooking I stirred in 1 TBS of 60% chocolate chips until melted. You could use any kind you want really, but I knew with the sweetness from the banana I would want a little bit darker of chocolate.
I let the mixture cool slightly and then tried a new trick- blending the grains! I put this all in the blender with a 1/4 tsp of vanilla and a scant tsp. of brown sugar and pureed. I normally would not use another sweetener, but I wanted this to really produce that "cookie dough" taste.
Topped with a few more chocolate chips and raw oats! This bowl was perfection. I let Zach try a few bites (which I shouldn't have because he wouldn't stop bugging me for me!!) and he was addicted.
Just how good is this oatmeal? I'll tell you how good- stop whatever you are doing and go make them RIGHT NOW! That's how good. Who says you can't have dessert for breakfast? :) Especially when that "dessert" is high in fiber, protein, antioxidants, potassium, and is perfectly balanced to keep you full and energized until lunch!

I knew it was going to be a great day :D


No comments:

Post a Comment