September 20, 2012

MASHED CAULIFLOWER

Thursday Night

Gym time: Treadmill 15 minutes (149 cal.)- ran a mile then walked the rest. Arm machine, thigh machine, back equipment. That was it for the gym because I have plans to get some outdoor exercise tonight as well!

I was really excited about making dinner tonight. Parmesan Baked Fish and Mashed Cauliflower. The fish recipe looked delicious and I was so excited to try my hand at making mashed cauliflower for the first time.

The fish came out of a cookbook called Easy Dinner, Healthy Recipes. I use this quite frequently! It started with a beautiful slab of salmon (10 oz.)
 Scaly :)
 Spooky realllllly wanted some ;)
 I mixed up some nayonnaise (mayo's much healthier cousin), parmesan cheese, chives and white wine vinegar and put it on top of the salmon. Baked in the oven until cooked!

The cauliflower was steamed until nice and tender and then I cooled it off in a cold water bath. I have put stuff that is too hot into the blender before and found out how THAT goes (I'll give you a hint- it's not pretty). I threw it into my blender with some snipped chives, a bit of unsweetened almond milk, salt and 1/2 TBS butter.
 Fish came out looking nice and cheesy!
 Overall I was really pleased with how the mashed potatoes cauliflower turned out, but I think I used a bit too much almond milk because they were a little runny. Seasoned with pepper though made them great! The fish was cut in half, with Zach's half being bigger for him to eat later.

 Perfectly flaky fish. I love salmon but don't buy it all that often because of the cost, but when I do it is always worth it.
 Zach's gone at a soccer game and I am eating, blogging and watching Wheel of Fortune. Thrilling I know :) I actually love Wheel of Fortune though and have always thought it would be a game show I could be decent at. So far I have beat everyone on 2 puzzles tonight ;)

Headed out for a walk once my dinner settles!

Back to let you know that I walked for a lovely 23 minutes on this beautiful evening. While I wandered my neighborhoods sidewalks I was reading Congo by Michael Crichton. This is one of my useless fabulous talents- reading while walking. I have always been exceptionally good at this and am somehow aware of every dip/jagged crack/torn up pavement/terrain change without ever looking up from my book. Thus far I have not fallen on my face...gotta go find something wooden to knock on now...

No comments:

Post a Comment