September 19, 2012

IT'S CREAMY, IT'S TASTY, IT'S....HEALTHY!

Wednesday Evening

Visited my local YMCA tonight for a mile run on the treadmill (it's starting to get easier again, hooray!) and 20 minutes on the spin bike.

I have a cookbook by Rocco Dispirito called Now Eat This and it is full of makeover recipes. Comfort foods and unhealthy favorites redone into a tasty but now HEALTHY dish. I have cooked out of it once before when I made eggplant manicotti and found that recipe to be a raging success.

Tonight I was attempting Creamy Chicken Pot Pie.
Ingredients:
One 8 oz Package Sliced Button Mushrooms 
One 10.75 oz Campbell's Healthy Request Condensed Low-Fat Cream of Chicken Soup (I got an organic brand at Whole Foods)
1/2 Cup Water
1 1/2 Tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves (used a 1/2 tsp of dried Thyme)
2 Cups Frozen Mixed Vegetables
2 Cups Shredded Skinless Chicken Breast Meat From a Rotisserie Chicken (bought an organic rotisserie chicken that came from a farm in Orland, IN!!)
1/4 Cup Jarred Cocktail Onions, Roughly Chopped 
Freshly Ground Pepper 
1/2 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons Biquick Heart Smart Baking Mix 
1/3 Cup Skim Milk (I used unsweetened almond)
2 Tablespoons Egg Substitute (I used egg whites)

Directions
.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.


.  Combine the mushrooms, soup, water, and thyme in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat.  Cover, and reduce the heat to low.  Simmer until mushrooms are almost tender, about 5 minutes.

.  Add the frozen vegetables, chicken, and onions to the saucepan. Season with pepper to taste.  Pour the chicken mixture into an 8x8 glass baking dish 


.  In a medium bowl, combine the  baking mix, milk, and egg substitute.  Stir to thoroughly combine.  Use an offset spatula to spread the dough over the top of the chicken mixture, covering it evenly.

.  Place the baking dish on a baking sheet, and bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubly, 20-25 minutes.  Serve hot.

Have you ever seen/used jarred cocktail onions? Well I had not and they were strange little things!

This recipe was incredible! I am not a huge bread person so I didn't miss have a crust on all sides and the bit of crust on the top was just perfect for me. I loved the flavors and I loved knowing that I didn't need to feel guilty about what I was eating!
 Steamed broccoli to go on the side!

The exciting details: Fat Before: 48g--After 5.4g (AWESOME); Calories Before: 800--After: 303  Protein: 30g; Carbs: 33g: Cholesterol: 66mg; Fiber: 3gSodium: 652mg.

Oh, did I mention this is supposed to be only FOUR servings?! What! That's 1/4 of the baking dish! I think we can easily make this last 7-8 servings. Three cheers for large serving sizes ;)

Now it's time to work a puzzle and wait for that soccer coach of mine to arrive home. :) Late games tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy.....that sounds delish. I'll try it soon.
    What a nice treat for the coach after a couple of tough games.

    ReplyDelete