September 13, 2012

SOBA

Thursday Evening

Go Lady Tigers!! :) We won tonight!

So does anybody know what these are??
Buckwheat soba noodles!! I had read about these some on other blogs but never took the leap and purchased them myself. On my last Whole Foods adventure (since that is how I view my shopping trips) I decided what the heck and threw a pack in the cart.
Ingredients: water, organic wheat flour, organic tapioca starch, organic buckwheat flour, organic wheat gluten, sea salt, lactic acid. Basically a better for you pasta :)

You find them in the refrigerator aisle because they are already cooked and just need heating up. From the back of the package I got the gist they were mostly used in Asian dishes (it had recipes for a stir fry and a cold pasta dish) but I had other plans. I tossed them into a pot to heat them and felt like they needed a bit of re-hydrating. I considered putting in some water or something and then decided to use a bit of EVOO. I am so glad I did because that really did the trick! I think water might have made these really gummy.
I sauteed mushrooms and tossed them in my noodles along with vodka sauce. The result? INCREDIBLE!! Zach and I loooooved this dish! The noodles taste amazing! What I really love is that it is a buckwheat noodle with all the softness of a white pasta. I will buy these again (and again and again!) One other plus of these lovely, little noodles- they are SO easy to prepare.
Served with a side salad: romaine, red + yellow pepper, tomato, 1 TBS Annie's Herbs de Provence dressing (still loving this dressing!)
What a fantastic dinner. I am so pleased :) Though the pictures are terrible! I swear, I try to give my dining room so many chances for photography but the lighting is HOR-RI-BLE. No more of those I don't think.

After dinner I went by Mom's and we went for a 20-25 minute walk around the neighborhood. It was a glorious fall-ish night for walking. Borderline chilly! I am feeling pretty beat so I doubt it will be long before I hit the sack. Hooray for Friday tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment