September 17, 2012

MY NEW BEST FRIEND

Monday Afternoon

If there was any day that would be good to have a smaller group for daycare, it's today. And thankfully I do!! I am feeling even better, so *fingers crossed* I am hoping that I have put this cold thing in it's place instead of the other way around!

As lunch was approaching and I was considering all my options (since I always start pondering lunch not too long after dinner...) I remembered a long-forgotten kitchen appliance. My sandwich maker! I used to use this all the time when we were first married to make the simple (and cheap) pizza sandwiches we both loved.
The best thing about the sandwich machine is that it seals the edges, trapping whatever delectable ingredients you choose inside. For some reason I never got very creative though and continue only to make pizza sandwiches with it. Well today marked the beginning of what I hope is a beautiful friendship between this sandwich thing and myself. It began when I realized I could put WHATEVER I WANTED (gasp!) between two slices of bread.
Thus was born "The Peanut Butter Monster".

I took two slices of Food for Life's Genesis sprouted grain (a new one for us) to begin with. *Food for Life is the brand that makes the Ezekiel breads* Slathered one half with Maranatha peanut butter and the other half with Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter. I got these ready in the sandwich maker, added sliced banana, and then spooned a dollop of greek yogurt mixed with Whole Foods brand blueberry jam onto each half.
Closed the cooker (don't forget to spray it so the sandwich doesn't stick!) and waited for the magic to happen. Dusted with powdered sugar and a strawberry on the side (for presentation :) )
I wasn't sure just how the yogurt would do in the cooker. Verdict? A-! It was overall great, I think my banana was just too ripe and I cut the banana slices a bit thick. But the peanut butter was amazing and the yogurt + jam turned into a paste-like substance.

I will definitely be coming up with more combinations in the future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment