May 10, 2012

8:28

Thursday Evening: 5/10/12
Thought for today: "Eat food that comes from the earth, not out of a science lab!"


Gym

8:28 is not just the title of this post but also my new PR (personal record) on running a mile!! My previous PR was 8:42 and I am so pleased to be making progress! Did 20 minutes on the treadmill total for 222 cal. burned. Then did some ab equipment and just 5 minutes on the Stat bike to cool down.

Weight: 118.3 I have to say I am pleased to see it consistently at 118! Keep pushing for my Hawaii goal...

Super Supper
Dinner for tonight was actually in the works LAST night. It was a dinner that Zach had picked out of a Taste of Home cookbook that HE wanted to cook! Can't say no to an alternate chef... :)

The recipe is Makeover Blueberry French Toast. I love Taste of Home's "makeover" section in their magazines. They take a famously delicious and calorie-laden dish and turns it into a healthy(er) version. Well we took this recipe and made it EVEN healthier than their version.

Zach was busy last night getting the french toast ready last night because it had to be in the fridge overnight. While I went to sleep he was readying the food and taking pictures so I could blog about it :D
Our substitutions for maximum health were:
-Ezekiel buns instead of just whole wheat hamburger buns
-Unsweetened almond milk instead of just fat-free milk
-Tofutti "cream cheese" instead of reduced fat cream cheese (Tofutti is a non-dairy cream cheese made from tofu) Unfortunately upon doing further research I discovered this contains partially-hydrogenated soybean oil so I doubt we will be purchasing it again. Remember natural is better even if it has a higher fat content.

First he tore up the Ezekiel buns into cubes.
Introducing Tofutti. Not sure how I feel about this anymore.

After adding blueberries and "cream cheese" pieces to the dish he mixed up the egg/egg substitute/milk/syrup and poured it in

And it all went into the fridge to chill overnight.

After the gym I stopped by home and took this out of the fridge to warm to room temp and went to the center where I had my TB testing done on Tuesday. A 30 minute round trip for them to assure me that "No I do not have tuberculosis" and I can continue teaching pre-school. (It's a nuisance getting it renewed every year)

Once home I popped this in the oven and then made up another batch of last week's Oven-roasted green beans. I am totally and utterly aware of how ODD of a pairing french toast and green beans are... But- I had extra green beans that desperately needed using and we needed some sort of vegetable, so there you have it!

Best chopper ever

Last thing was the syrup topping for the french toast. On the stove top a luscious reduction was created of sugar, cornstarch, juice and blueberries. This made such an incredible topping.

Filled some mugs with the french toast, topped with syrup and served with a side of green beans. I don't care if foods don't really match up with each other as long as each component is delicious!





The green beans were shared between the two of us but not finished.
The french toast was divine. I am disappointed with what I discovered on the Tofutti ingredient list because it tasted awesome for a cream cheese replacement. Overall though this was a great dinner and I thought the green beans were just a magical pairing with the french toast ;)

Had a tiny bit extra for seconds


Oh, by the way, 43 days until Hawaii!!!! AAAHH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment