May 13, 2012

UNDERWHELMED

Sunday Afternoon


Mother's Day lunch found Zach and I taking his parents out to a restaurant about a half hour away called Montgomery Steakhouse. This location holds some special meaning from when it used to be a restaurant called Macaboo's where our rehearsal dinner was held almost four years ago.
It was SUCH a beautiful restaurant with great food and the perfect place to have our dinner. We were so sad to hear it had closed and were excited when something new went in. Well this was our first time to visit after it had changed to Montgomery's and while it was still as beautiful as ever, that was the only impressive thing about it.
 Gorgeous bathrooms :) (My parents always made fun of me because when I was little I HAD to check out the bathroom at any restaurant we went to. Don't ask why.)

Now I need to preface the rest of this post by saying that Zach and I are very laid back. We NEVER send food back because we don't want to be rude, we don't get impatient easily if it takes a while, we try to always think the best about our server and overall enjoy our restaurant experiences.

I've said all that to say that this was a VERY underwhelming visit. To start off the menu was mostly unimpressive with virtually no health food choices which led to me ordering some salad and modifying it quite a bit to turn it into a healthier choice. We then waited and waited and after almost 40 minutes they brought out bread (which was just white and plain and I didn't have any) and Zach and his parent's salads. (I should point out that they really were not very busy at all even with it being Mother's Day because it was a very out-of-the-way location.)

After almost an hour and a half our food came out.
I ordered the salad without the corn, without the cheese and with dressing on the side to amp up it's nutrient value. I am aware that corn is not un-healthy per say but it is starchy, higher cal and it's not an I-have-to-have-it food for me so it's an easy thing to cut it out on my part. My salad description was that it was romaine with black beans, avocado, salsa, tortilla strips, jalapeƱos and grilled chicken.
Hmmm... Well the strips magically turned into chips (of which I crumbled three on top and gave Zach the other three), they were generous enough to provide me with four jalapeƱo slices but decided that I was not worthy of the salsa/black beans/avocado. I may have made an exception to the rule and sent it back, but I didn't want to wait another hour for my salad!!

I ate about a fourth of the dressing and my chicken was pretty dry and the lettuce pretty wilted. Zach said his asparagus were both woody and soggy at the same time and his pork chop was very tough.

They brought Vicki (Zach's mom) out a complimentary dessert that was some type of chocolate cake with banana ice cream with whipped cream. I had one bite (but no whip cream on my bite, not a fan)
After waiting another twenty minutes we finally got our check and paid only to discover we had been charged for one of the entrees twice. Took another twenty minutes to get that reversed during which time we were accidentally handed another table's receipt showing their entire meal had been comped. Apparently we weren't the only ones experiencing a less than satisfactory meal.

Finally after a two and a half hour visit we were free. I don't mind a dinner that takes over two hours...when the food is excellent and the experience and atmosphere calls for it.
Oh, did I mention that on the way home we broke a fan blade and the whole car started vibrating so violently we felt it might rip apart at the seams?
Yeah. That happened.

You know what? We still had a great time with family :) Haha I mean there's always something in life isn't there? Might as well learn to laugh at it and be positive because either way you look at it it's not going to change, all you can change is your perspective!

I love my mother-in-law dearly and she seemed to enjoy her meal so that's all that matters!

Off to pursue some form of light exercise before we head to Indianapolis with MY folks for Mother's Day Round II! Hopefully with some good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment