May 16, 2012

HOT AND ZESTY

Wednesday Evening


My day-care kids were WILD today. It was one of those days where my patience was severely being tried by the end of the day!! Nothing better than working off that stress at the gym and thankfully that's right where I was headed after work. (What's new I know)

Tonight I was joined by Hillary and we did sprint intervals on the treadmill for 30 minutes (231 calories burned). Sprint for 1, power walk for 2- great HIIT workout (high intensity interval training). I did a 15 minute warm-up on the treadmill at a level 15 incline for 204 calories burned. Doing such a steep incline (at a swift walking pace) is a great calorie torcher.

Weight: 116.6 Whoo hoo! :)

Healthy does not always translate into simple when cooking, but when it does (like tonight) it's divine!

Hot and Zesty Quinoa! from Taste of Home Healthy Cooking (where I find a plethora of my great recipes!)

I made this exactly as it was supposed to be made but left out the artichoke hearts and replaced it with red pepper since I was cooking for Hillary and I and sometimes strange foods scare her ;) Of course you know if it was just Zach and I they would have been left in because, as my parents always joke "You guys love EVERYTHING."
(It's true, we do. Especially me. Zach does have certain foods he will eat but is not fond of, but I have yet to meet a food I didn't like!! Refried beans are not a food. Ew.)

Topped off the quinoa with some fresh parm

Steamed some broccoli to go alongside of the quinoa and there you have a super-simple-satisfying meal!

So quinoa is amazing because it mimics a grain/starch but is NOT! It is actually a seed, and therefore a complete protein. It is simple to prepare, cheap to buy and healthy to eat. Eat it hot or cold, sweet or savory- doesn't matter how you do it, it's delicious! This recipe was good and surprisingly spicy. Even Hillary loved it :)
Seconds:
I had a new seasoning from Trader Joe's called the 21 Spice Salute that I have been itching to use so the broccoli was the perfect vehicle for that!
It was pretty good, kind of lemony? The best part is that it literally is made of 21 spices and has no salt. It's always good to find a seasoning that is low or no sodium, you CAN have flavor without the salt!! (Not that I am opposed to some sea salt here and there ;) )

I am continuing Hillary on in her journey of embracing the Harry Potter movies and tonight we are on number two- The Chamber of Secrets :) I have to force as many people as possible to share my love of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings!

For some movie treats we went to IY to pick up some yogurty goodness. Tonight I got an "incredi-wich." Hillary said it was appropriate I get one since we are watching a movie about "witches" (and wizards..).

This is vanilla fro-yo sandwiched between two snicker doodle cookies. Not as light as my usual kid's cup of 10 cal. an ounce, but sooo delicious :) Figured tonight was a good night to get one since our dinner was quite a bit more low cal than usual, besides the sugar-free flavor of the day was coconut. Meh.

Off to enjoy a most magical movie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment