May 15, 2012

THE OLD WEST

 Tuesday Evening


Gym

Tonight = get in. do work. get out. I pushed myself for 30 minutes on the arc trainer (388 cal. burned) before dashing back out the gym doors to get on with my busy evening!

Weight: 117.2 :)

Dinner


Took a recipe that looked good but was too large, too unhealthy and completely changed everything around to make my own version of it! 

Nap-time is so useful for dinner prep.

Had all my veggies already nicely chopped for tonight so that when the time came I could just throw them into the pan. My lovely, enormous stainless steel oven-safe pan. It has handles on both side to make it easier to take it in and out of the oven and is a life saver! (It's never technically saved my life, but it's so enormous and heavy that I know it would double as a fine weapon if necessary...)

Recipe: Western Skillet Eggs from Food Network Magazine
MY Ingredients: (which are a bit different than the recipe ingredients)
-1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
-pinch of cayenne
-sea salt and black pepper
-2 tsp. EVOO
-1 shallot
-1 green pepper
-1 red pepper
-white mushrooms
-2 cups of diced red potatoes
-TBS fresh parsley
-2 eggs + egg whites

First of all, I cut the recipe in half because it was just too big! I omitted the ham and added more veggies to bulk it up (smarter choice!) Almond milk instead of regular. I ALWAYS use less EVOO than is called for. Used potatoes instead of bread (mainly because I still had red potatoes that needed using).

1. I mixed together the first four ingredients while softening the shallots on the stove-top.
2. Then added all the other veggies to the pan with the shallots until the veg. were soft as well.

3. During this time the potatoes were boiling in a different pot until needed.
4. Then added the potatoes and parsley to the veg with just a tiny bit of water. (It calls for more because the bread absorbs it and since I wasn't using bread I didn't need this step)
5. Made four indentations...kind of...in the mix and cracked eggs into them. Was going to use four and discovered we only had two left in the fridge. Whoops. Used some egg whites in place of two of the eggs to see how they would do.

6. Poured the milk mixture over the top and baked just until the whites of the eggs set.

Voila!
I really had no idea how this would turn out. Especially using potatoes instead of bread. The bread was obviously important to soak up liquid and to make it more of a casserole dish. My whole dish was just loose veggies and potatoes so I couldn't really make nice little dents for the eggs, more like I moved stuff aside and shoved the eggs into holes... But it was great!

My egg with a film on top
 Zach's naked egg
 The eggs looked nice and runny...
But were set inside! Bummer. I really like runny yolk. Overall though this was a great bowl of breakfast! So tasty that I had a smudge more of mostly veggies for seconds.
A much more natural, healthy version of skillet eggs :)
My husband of course doused his in sauce and raved over every bite, he looooves breakfast ANY time of day!

Check out this cute baby cat! (Who really is quite a big baby...)

A little while after supper Zach and I had to run to his parent's house for something. They live awfully close by so to save on gas and gain on exercise we hoofed it! I love evening walks with my husband. Such a nice time for good conversation and company :)

Now we're settling in with some old friends and about to enjoy a snack. I'll edit the post in the morning to add it!!
Frodo and Gandalf...in case you were not aware. (Yes, that's closed captioning at the bottom of the screen, I have terrible hearing!!)

{Edited to add}
Told you I was going to have a snack! We debated going to IY, but I was beginning to feel as though I hadn't had any nut butter for days (has it been days?) so I knew just what I wanted!

A banana with cinnamon, honey and a tasting plate of nut butters!!

Had a tsp each of white chocolate wonderfulJustin's maple almond butter, and Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter.
 My ideal for a perfect snack :)

Plate licked clean by Spooky the scavenger cat? Nope. That would be me :D You can ask anyone who knows me, I am NOT too proud to humble myself to the point of voraciously licking a plate that contains delicious residue (such as honey, cinnamon and nut butter...)

HAWAII IN 38 DAYS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment