May 4, 2012

OATMEAL 'N ONIONS

Friday Morning: 5/4/12


Hello old friend :) (And by old friend I mean Friday.)

What better breakfast to start off a Friday than some oatmeal?! As you may know from my New Experience blog post, I recently graduated from instant oats packages to cooking quick oats on the stove-top. Well having been so pleased with the quality and texture of stove-top oats (along with the fact that oats are the only ingredient as opposed to packages where they include other stuff) I have decided to take it a step further...

Rolled oats! These are also for the stove-top but take a bit longer to cook than the quick oats. I have read so many great things about them on other people's blogs about how the taste and texture are so superior to quick stove-top oats that I just had to give them a try!

Now when I made stove-top oats with a 1/4 cup of oats it was not quite enough. When I made it with 1/2 a cup it was too much. So today I compromised and used right in between the two!

Into the pot- 1/3 cup of oats, just under 2/3 cup of vanilla almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and a teeny pinch of salt

Stirred in at the end- 3/4 large banana, flaxseed, and a 1/2 TBS of Justin's maple almond butter

Oats...in an onion bowl!!
This was my first time to make it without putting any honey or agave in it to sweeten. I just wanted to cut back a bit on sweetening and was hoping the banana + nut butter would make it sweet enough. It definitely did! No more oatmeal with honey or agave!
You can visibly SEE the amazing texture of the maple almond butter!


























My verdict for the rolled oats is this:
1. They did take a bit longer to make (probably about 5-7 minutes longer) but it wasn't too inconvenient
2. They really did taste a little sweeter and gelled very nicely
3. I needed to use a little more almond milk. You can see that several oats are still very "oaty", they didn't get a chance to morph from their original form very much before all the milk had been soaked up.

So I will definitely make these again but will just make sure to have a bit more milk.

Why Jordan, what shallow bowls you eat out of!
The better for licking out of my dears! :D

Booty Call workout was 30 minutes on the gazelle.

By this time tomorrow my race will have been run!!! I am so excited and nervous and just can't wait to do it! It looks as though it will be warm (which is such a blessing because two years ago when we ran it it was freeeeezing!) but there is  a chance of rain. Hopefully the rain will hold off!

1 comment:

  1. I've been cooking steel cut oats with almonds, apples, ground flax, rose water, allspice, cardamon and nutmeg. YUM.

    ReplyDelete