May 22, 2012

A LESSON IN TOFU

Tuesday Evening


Workout- Haven't really spent a lot of quality time with my friend the elliptical lately, so I thought 40 minutes should cover it ;) (381 calories burned)

Weight: 117.4

Tofu Talk

Something you should know about tofu: it is not scary and it is not gross. Tofu is actually very bland which makes it a blank canvas to flavor it HOWEVER YOU CHOOSE! 
Something else you should know: tofu is WET. Like totally, sopping wet. But it's not that hard to get it ready for cooking.
1. Drain the tofu package and rinse off the tofu.
2. Press tofu all around with paper towels to get off the initial, outside moisture.
3. Wrap tofu in paper towels and put on a plate (board, etc) under something heavy. (I use a big pot with large cans in it for weight)
4. Discard soaking paper towels, re-wrap and repeat step 3 as necessary until the towels are barely damp.
*You can slice the tofu in half if you are planning on doing that anyway to make for a shorter absorbing time.
5. Now- do whatever you want! Marinate it! Grill it! Roast it! Bake it! Pan fry it! With whatever spices/sauces/glazes/toppings you want! 

Supper-time

Tonight's recipe comes from my Tone It Up plan, so I cannot disclose the exact measurements and steps but here's the gist:

Dried out my tofu with above ^ steps.
Made a marinade out of these:
Sliced up my tofu and put it in a bag with the marinade & stuck it in the fridge for two hours.

Made a topping out of these:
 Then put it in the fridge.

Stuck the tofu on the grill
Meanwhile I sauteed asparagus on the stove in cooking spray with just a dash of garlic salt.

Nothing helps aid the cooking process like a 4oz. pour of Cabernet Sauvignon ;)
This dinner was great! Healthy + Delicious is a winning combination! Zach said he could really taste the cucumber in the sauce, the mint stood out to me the most and Christine thought the apricot was the most vibrant


I had one more end of a slice of tofu for seconds!
YUMMM

Now Christine and I are watching "Contraband" and I have a movie snack:
Used the daycare kid's plastic spoons for nut butters so that it would be even smaller than a teaspoon (remember- that's a dinky little bowl!)
-White Chocolate Wonderful
-Justin's Maple Almond butter
-Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut butter
and a few chocolate chips!

Night :)

2 comments: