May 16, 2012

CHEESE TASTES YUMMY

Wednesday Afternoon


I spent a good deal of time (as any person obsessed with food would) trying to figure out just what I wanted for lunch today. I knew I was craving some carbs as I am used to having some in the morning and today's granola bottom-of-the-bag crumbs just didn't cut it. I knew I wanted something a bit sweet (nut butter?) but not high in fat (no nut butter. fruit?). I also knew I wanted CHEESE.

We love specialty cheese but can only have a few kinds on hand at a time because it takes us forever to get through them!! Here's what I came up with:

An open-faced veggie-rific sandwich with some blueberries + goat cheese. (Read more about open-faced here.)
I swiped a thin smear of pesto (thin is key with the pesto!!) onto a slice of Ezekiel sprouted bread (straight from the freezer) and smashed on some ripe avocado with salt and oregano to make a paste. Piled on spinach leaves, mushrooms, jalapeños and red pepper (which I sautéed for just a second first with the mushrooms to take the raw out of them). Finally crowned it all with a 1/2 an ounce of the soft Chimay cheese we had bought at a specialty cheese shop a couple of weeks ago. Stuck it under the broiler for just a couple of minutes and that's that!
 Surrounded with cherry tomatoes for a cold contrast to the hot sandwich.

Thawed out some frozen blueberries and served them with 1/2 an ounce of our Capriole Farms goat cheese. Goat cheese and blueberries are such a winning combination! (I once had a blueberry and goat cheese pie for dessert at a restaurant and it was very memorable!)
I am actually not that crazy about the Chimay cheese. The aftertaste is a bit too bitter and harsh for me. Putting jalapeños on this sandwich was genius though!
This meal was the epitome of why eating healthy is fun!!!


Working Out

So the back of my thighs are STILL super sore today- maybe more sore?! And my arms- specifically triceps- have decided to join the party. I thought "Well, hey! Might as well rip up my abs so they can join in on the fun!"

So I did three circuits of best abs workout by Tone It Up. Ouch. I have been stretching a lot today. It always feels so much better to stretch when you are sore, in that hurts-so-good kind of way.

Joining me at the gym tonight is my friend Hillary who is fairly new to my Y. Hmmm...what kind of circuit shall I put her through... :) We've got a healthy dinner and some fun plans for the evening!
 Stay tuned ;)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS BLOG! OMG! I seriously look forward to reading it every meal haha keep it up girlfriend...so proud of you! LOVE your recipes and ideas!

    ReplyDelete